We are delighted to welcome Maria Wood to NEP this summer. She is currently between her first and second year at Imperial College, London where she is studying Physics. Maria has always been interested in sustainability, and was keen to spend the summer (with a few festivals thrown in) with an organisation, locally (she’s from Nottingham) that makes a difference in this field.
Maria has hit the ground running, learning the workings of SketchUp and DesignBuilder – the latter is an advanced modelling tool for Engineers, Architects and Energy Assessors.
Maria has contributed to Nottingham’s European ‘Smart City’ project, REMOURBAN by producing drawings for a multi-use building in Seraing, Belgium, and an analysis of it’s heating needs.
NEP has been commissioned to retrofit a domestic property in London, again, Maria is working on a simulation of the building, before and after retrofit. The after drawing will incorporate the following energy efficiency improvements:
- Solid wall insulation (expanded polystyrene) set to a standard U-value of 0.
- Underfloor insulation (expanded polystyrene)
- Solar PV panels for electricity generation
- Heat recovery units
- Improved air changes per hour due to the improvements
- LED lighting
- Underfloor heating in kitchen
- Roof insulation (mineral wool) set to a U-value of 0.7
Thanks Maria for all your efforts so far.