Homeowners in England could receive up to 100% of the cost of home energy improvements, according to new government plans.
What is the Green Homes Grant?
The new ‘Green Homes Grant’ announced by the government will provide households with vouchers to cover up to 2/3 of the cost of qualifying improvements in their homes, with the maximum voucher value of £5,000 per household. Any homeowner or landlord can apply for this voucher.
Additionally, higher value vouchers of up to £10,000 are available, only for households which receive one of the qualifying benefits*. This higher value voucher is not available to landlords.
You can find out which voucher you are eligible for by completing the questionnaire available on Simple Energy Advice’s website.
This is great news for residents who have previously struggled to meet the costs of insulating their homes. Insulation could save a household hundreds of pounds per year on heating, as well reducing carbon emissions. In particular, the high initial costs of installing solid wall insulation have prevented many Nottinghamshire residents from accessing the most effective energy saving measures. Nottingham Energy Partnership are glad that the new scheme will put solid wall insulation within the reach of many more households in the coming months.
Which home improvement measures are available?
The Green Homes Grant Vouchers must be used to install at least one primary home insulation or low carbon heating measure.
If you choose to install at least one of the primary measures, you can use the voucher to cover the cost of secondary measures. The subsidy for the secondary measure is capped at the value of the subsidy provided for the primary measures.
For example, if you receive £300 for a primary measure such as a cavity wall insulation, you will be able to receive a maximum of £300 for a secondary measure such as draught proofing.
The primary measures covered by the vouchers:
- Solid wall
- Cavity wall
- Under-floor insulation (solid floor; suspended floor)
- Flat roof**
- Room in roof
- Park home insulation
Low carbon heat (available only where the home is suitably insulated):
- Air source heat pump
- Ground source heat pump
- Solar thermal
- Biomass pellet boilers
The secondary measures covered by the vouchers:
Windows and doors:
- Draught proofing**
- Double/triple glazing (where replacing single glazing)**
- Secondary glazing (in addition to single glazing)**
- Energy efficient replacement doors (replacing single glazed or solid doors installed before 2020)**
Heating controls and insulation:
- Hot water tank thermostats
- Hot water tank insulation
- Heating controls (e.g. smart heating controls, zone controls, intelligent delayed start thermostat and thermostatic radiator valves)
What do I need to do?
As the government scheme is attracting many thousands of applicants, we recommend that you book a survey as soon as you can. The survey will allow you to obtain the quotes required to apply for the Green Homes Grant.
(Update 18.09.2020) Unfortunately at present we are unable to take new bookings for technical surveys due to exceptionally high demand for this service. Our contractors have reached full capacity and are unable to provide new quotes at this time. To avoid the risk of being unable to provide you with a quote in time to benefit from the voucher scheme, any further enquiries we receive will be added to a waiting list. We are working hard to return to normal service and hope to be able to provide information in the next 4 -6 weeks. We will contact you if we are able to offer this service at a later date.
In order to not miss the opportunity to claim a grant, visit the Simple Energy Advice website to find out what is available through the scheme, and contact local installers directly to arrange a quote in preparation for application. We would advise you to get two to three quotes so that you can compare the prices.
If you do wish to be added to our Waiting List, please complete the form below and we will contact you once we have resolved our capacity issue, in case you still require a survey and/or additional information.
How do I get in touch?
- Call 0115 985 9057 to find out more about the Green Homes Grant, or to find out about other services such as energy switching, bill discounts, Priority Services Register and more.
- If you wish to be added onto our Home Survey Waiting List, please complete the form below, and we will contact you once we have resolved our capacity issue in case you still require a survey and/or additional information.
* Qualifying benefits include: Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), Income-based Employment & Support Allowance (ESA), Income Support (IS) Pension Guarantee Credit, Working Tax Credit (WTC), Child Tax Credits (CTC), Universal Credit (UC), Disability Living Allowance (DLA), Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Attendance Allowance, Carer’s Allowance, Severe Disablement Allowance, Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, Contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), Contribution-based Employment & Support Allowance (ESA), Housing Benefit
** Please note our Home Improvement Team cannot provide you with a quote for these measures.