Different energy sources are measured in different units: litres, therms, BTU, kWh, units, cubic metres and many more. This makes it very difficult to compare the actual costs for powering a heating system between different energy sources.
For this reason, standardised units and costs are needed. We have done these calculations for the main fuel types. In making these calculations, sources of data and assumptions have been used; which have been referenced. We try our best to update this information monthly, however, we recommend the reference sites be checked for the latest fuel prices.
Average prices shown are based on the supply of fuel volumes suitable for a medium-sized domestic property (around 16.5MWh of annual heat demand), quotes taken from suppliers within the East Midlands region.
We can notify you when the next month of data is available, just complete this form and we will drop you an email.
Energy Cost Comparison – September 2020
|Fuel||Fuel price (p per unit)||Unit||Pence per kWh (after boiler efficiency)||Energy content (kWh per unit)||KgCO2e per kWh*|
|Electricity Standard Rate1||19.88||kWh||19.88 (100%)||1||0.288|
|Electricity Online Rate1||19.43||kWh||19.43 (100%)||1||0.288|
|Mains Gas Standard Rate2||3.46||kWh||3.85 (90%)||1||0.208|
|Mains Gas Online Rate2||3.82||kWh||3.44 (90%)||1||0.208|
|Gas oil4||47.30||Litre||5.05 (90%)||10.4||0.316|
|Seasoned Wood8||24.98||Kg||7.00 (85%)||4.20||0.028|
|Smokeless fuel10||42.72||Kg||8.70 (75%)||8.51||0.396|
- Electricity: Based on an average of the 6 major electricity suppliers’ online prepayment, credit and direct debit tariffs, including standing charges and VAT, but not Economy 7. Data used are the Tariff Comparison Rates (TCR) provided on the 6 major energy suppliers’ website.
- Gas: Based on an average of the 6 major gas suppliers’ standard prepayment, credit and direct debit tariffs, including standing charges and VAT. Data used are the Tariff Comparison Rates (TCR) provided on the 6 major energy suppliers’ website.
- Kerosene: Based on an average prices from Boiler Juice, Heating Oil and Home Fuels Direct.
- Gas Oil: Based on an average prices from Boiler Juice, HeatingOil and Home Fuels Direct.
- LPG: Based on an average prices from Calor Gas (0800 626 626), Extra Fuel and Nottinghamshire LPG.
- Butane: Based on prices from Flogas.
- Propane: Based on an average prices from: Flogas, and Calor Gas – 0800 662 663. Note: The bottled gas market is very competitive and prices vary. It is recommended that you contact as many suppliers as possible in your area for the best price. We have used the CO2eq factor of LPG, as both propane and butane are components of LPG and there is currently no specific GHG conversion factor for these
- Seasoned Wood: Based on an average prices from House Fuel, Logs Coal UK, and Nottinghamshire Logs. We have used the CO2factor as there is currently no specific GHG CO2eq conversion factor for this. Note: The values for seasoned logs have been updated based on the latest information on the Net CVs of Seasoned logs from Biomass Energy Centre.
- Wood Pellets: Based on average prices from Wood Pellets Stove, Balcas Energy and Logs2U.
- Smokeless fuel and coal: Based on average prices from House Fuels, Coals2U and Coal Merchant. We have used the CO2eq factor of coal, as the components of smokeless fuels are coal-based and there is currently no specific GHG conversion factor for this.
- GSHP (Ground Source Heat Pump) and ASHP (Air Source Heat Pump): Based on best electricity price taken from electric online rate. The boiler efficiency used in the calculation is based on the best available information from Review of Technical Information on Renewable Heat Technologies Report 2011.